Thursday, October 24, 2019

My scavenger hunt experience


This is about our class scavenger hunt experience:

What surprised me? 

What is the greatest advantage of being able to find this much information so quickly? 

What is the greatest danger?



My greatest dilemma on the scavenger hunt was that I had not used Google Docs before and had no idea how to share information efficiently with my scavenger partners.  I think I slowed them down because I had to ask questions and be shown how to use the system.  They should get some extra points for expanding my knowledge base.  As to information accessibility, I was not surprised at all.  I was an investigator for the Department of State and did background checks for security clearances for the military and diplomats.  I used other official formats to gather information since information gathered from secondhand sources, like the ones we accessed, are not reliable.  I am also familiar with internet criminal activities-phishing, hacking etc. and I realize, as some people don’t, that anytime you access the internet, fill out a webpage with your information, or use social media, you are leaving an information trail that can be followed and you are allowing corporate/business entities to gather personal information on you as well as what your personal choices are with regard to products or services.  The next time you buy something on the internet pay attention to the pop-up advertisements and you will see that they are targeting products you have purchased.  If you willingly use a service such as Amazon and accept their terms, you have given them the right to monitor and share information about you.  Read the privacy notice that you must accept to get the service.  You will be amazed at what they are able to collect, use, and share about you with other services.  Social media is even worse because you are sharing personal information about yourself with anyone able to access the service, not just your circle of friends.  


The ability to share information freely is a great boon for mankind because the sharing of knowledge freely can help make our lives easier.  Knowledge that is shared can save lives.  How would we know what is going on in the world without having access to the news media?  Or survive a potential weather disaster without the Weather Channel?  Information freely shared is important but we must realize that, like all things, it can be abused by unscrupulous people.  Identity theft happens.  Your personal information can be collected and sold on the dark web.  Keep that in mind the next time you use the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment